Walla Walla High School to receive an upgrade

Kiley Curran, Staff Writer

This fall a bond passed to help remodel some of the public schools in Walla Walla. Remodels will happen at Wa-HI, Lincoln and Pioneer. At Wa-HI, they have big plans to improve the safety and efficiency of the buildings with construction to start in the Fall of 2019.

The renovation will start with a new Science wing being built off the academic building. This structure will be in place of the portables and will house all Science classes into the new wing. As for the Math, Art and CTE classes, those will stay in what is now the Science building. They plan to remodel the Science building as well temporarily moving the math and art classes in that building to empty classrooms around campus.

Next, there will be additions and improvements to the Commons, Library, CTE building, Auditorium, and the weight room. In the Commons, they plan to move the outdoor seating area and put a building in its place. This building will hold a classroom for the Culinary Arts students so they have access to a bigger kitchen. The Student Hub will also be in that new building.

On the Library, they are adding two more classrooms off the back; these classrooms will open up more space for the World Languages department. The Vocational building is getting a remodel of not only its classrooms but its greenhouse as well. They plan to not only enlarge the greenhouse but to better insulate it so plants will stay alive through winter. As for the auditorium, they will be making minor improvements as well as making more space in the band rooms and creating a small space for theater and performing art needs. The weight room right now is more of a shed than it is actually a building, so they plan to make a permanent building to take place of the temporary one that is there now.

All classrooms around campus will be improved. The goal for this whole remodel is to not only upgrade everything but make sure every classroom has a safe and comfortable environment. They also plan to improve the bus drop off and parking situation by adding a new place line for buses to drive down to drop off and pick up kids.

Though all this construction happening around campus for the next three years will be a bit crazy for everyone, this will be really great for Wa-HI especially when construction finishes in the Spring of 2022. The newly remodeled campus will be loved and appreciated by the students, staff, and community for many years to come.